Welcome to Action Team!
What is Eco Schools?
Eco-Schools is the largest global sustainable schools programme – it starts in the classroom and expands to the community by engaging the next generation in action-based learning.
It is an ideal way to embark on a meaningful path towards improving the environment in both the school and the local community while at the same time having a life-long positive impact on the lives of young people and their families.
So why are we doing it?
It makes a difference…
- Eco-Schools empowers pupils, raises environmental awareness, improves the school environment and also engages the wider local community.
Making a difference to pupils’ lives…
- The Eco-Schools programme provides a unique opportunity that empowers pupils to lead change within their school and have a positive impact in their wider community. The programme encourages pupils of all ages and abilities to work together to develop their knowledge and environmental awareness.
- Independent research into the Eco-Schools programme in England found evidence of the positive impacts on pupils, including increased confidence, development of leaderships skills, improved pupil well-being and behaviour and greater motivation at school.
St Mary’s Eco Team
The Eco Team will meet fortnightly and will work on the Seven Eco-Schools steps which are designed to make environmental actions pupil-led.
The seven steps are:
- Eco-Committee, a group of students and adults responsible for all things Eco-Schools.
- Environmental Review, a free-to-download resource which has been designed to review learning environments and provide inspiration to Eco-Committees.
- Action Plan, a plan for environmental actions in your school, college or nursery.
- Curriculum Links, including environmental issues in your school’s learning.
- Informing and Involving, including all pupils, staff members and your local community in Eco-Schools work.
- Monitoring and Evaluation, measuring the impact of the projects in your Action Plan.
- Eco-Code, a rallying call that everyone can get behind!
St Mary’s Eco Code
St Mary’s Eco Team Action Plan
Click on any thumbnail to view the larger image in a slideshow gallery.
St Mary’s Action Team Display Board
- Litter and Waste
- Biodiversity and the Schoolgrounds
- Environment Week
- Health Week
- Switch off Fortnight